Following hot on the heals of the new stadium in Binéfar and Andorra CF’s complete revamp of their Estadio Juan Antonio Endeiza, came this offering in Ejea. This bright stadium replaced the old Campo de Luchan, which stood in the shadow of the town’s bullring.
The new stadium was built to the east of the town at a cost of €3.2m and was completed in 8 months. It’s a simple but effective design, offering better views and more cover than Luchan ever did. The main grandstand houses 1315 seats and a further 1000 seats are contained on three narrow banks that surround the other sides of the synthetic pitch, which saw its first match on 8 August 2010 when Andorra CF were the opponents.
As for the resident club, Sociedad Deportiva Ejea was founded on 4 October 1927, playing their home matches at the Campo de La Llana. The ground is still used for football and is located to the south of the town on the western bank of the Estanca del Gancho. The club moved the Campo de Luchan in 1947, before returning to La Llana in 1953. They upped sticks again in 1959, returning to the Campo de Luchan, where they remained until 2010. The main stand at the Campo de Luchan still remains, but the pitch has been been replaced with a parking lot.
Ejea had clocked-up 44 seasons in the Tercera since first appearing back in 1956-57. They have won the league title on three occasions, the last as recently as 2011-12. Promotion had proved elusive however, that was until June 2018, when a third place finish earned a plce in the play-offs, where Ejea saw off the challenges of the reserve sides from Rayo Vallecano, Tenerife & Cádiz.