On 26 March 1926, Real Stadium Club Ovetense & Real Club Deportivo Oviedo joined forces to form Real Oviedo Foot-ball Club. The directors of each club had voted unanimously for the union, and chose a certain Carlos Tartiere as the new club’s first president. Whilst the merger had passed relatively smoothly at board level, there was a pocket of resistance. A small group of disenfranchised supporters did not want to let go of the past, and within a matter of weeks had formed their own club. On 26 April 1926, Sportiva Ovetense was founded, choosing to play in Real Stadium Club Ovetense’s colours of yellow & blue striped shirts, and even setting up home at the Campo de Llamaquique, which had served as Real Stadium Club Ovetense home until 1919.
Within a couple of seasons, Sportiva Ovetense had moved to another former home of Real Stadium Club Ovetense, the Campo de Vetusta. This was situated in the eastern fringe of the city, in the neighbourhood of Fozaneldi. The club had ambitions to become the city of Oviedo’s second club, and reached the Tercera in 1933. The restructuring of the leagues in 1934, saw Sportiva Ovetense drop back to regional level, and play in a combined Asturian/Cantabrian league, before the Civil War put a stop to football for the next 3 years. Oviedo was at the forefront of the Civil War, and witnessed a great deal of destruction. Real Oviedo’s Campo de Buenavista was all but destroyed, leading to the club sitting out the 1939-40 season. Sportiva Ovetense however emerged from the hostilities and started the 1939-40 season at the Campo de Teatinos. This had been the home of Real Oviedo from 1926 to 1932, and was situated in around a kilometre north east of the old town centre, close to the current Calle Chile.
Real Oviedo re-joined La Primera for the 1940-41 season, and over the next decade, ran up a series of top 10 finishes. With the Campo de Buenavista rebuilt, and the first team more than holding its own in the top flight, thoughts turned to developing the next generation of players. In 1943, Real Oviedo reached an agreement with the now renamed Sociedad Deportiva Vetusta. This would see SD Vetusta become an associate club, with Real Oviedo having first selection of the best players. In return, SD Vetusta moved again, and played home matches at the Campo de Buenavista/Estadio Carlos Tartiere. Over the next few decades, the relationship between the two clubs, blew hot & cold. Strong in the 1960s when SD Vetusta spent a decade in the the Tercera, not so strong when they dropped to the Regional Preferente in the 1970s.
In 1977, SD Vetusta changed their name to Real Oviedo Aficionados. Promotion back to the Tercera followed in 1979, and eventually promotion to Segunda B was attained in 1988. Their days as an associate club were numbered, and in 1991 the RFEF ruled that affiliated clubs must become assimilated with the parent club. In the summer of 1991, Real Oviedo Aficionados became Real Oviedo Football Club “B”. They spent all but one season of the 1990s in Segunda B, usually in the bottom half of their division, but rarely troubled with relegation. The turn of the millennium, bought with it a significant amount of change for Real Oviedo B, and nearly all of it was bad. The club moved out of town to the Ciudad Deportiva in 2000, when the old Estadio Carlos Tartiere was demolished and the First Team moved to the shiny new Estadio Carlos Tartiere. Relegation to the Tercera followed in 2001, and with the club facing financial meltdown in 2003, Real Oviedo B ceased to play matches for the next three seasons.
Real Oviedo B returned to activity for the 2006-07 season, playing in the Asturian Regional 2nd Division, or the 7th tier of Spanish football. They slowly climbed their way back up the ladder, spending eight seasons in the Tercera, before finally getting back to Segunda B in 2018, thanks to a third Tercera title and a 5-1 victory over Mutilvera in the play-offs. From 2017, the club adopted the title Real Oviedo Vetusta.
The Ciudad Deportiva or El Requexón, as it is commonly known, opened in 1975 and for the first 25 years served as a training centre and academy. The site was extended in the early 1990s and again at the turn of the century, and now covers over 80,000 square metres. It’s located 8km north of the city on land practically encircled by the Rio Nora, and features four natural grass pitches and one synthetic surface. The main building includes changing, gym & medical facilities, along with a press room. The main “arena” (I use the term loosely) sits to the west of the main building, and features a very basic 60 metre-long covered stand, with three rows of seats. Real Oviedo have plans to extend to the site again, with land earmarked land to the north of the present site.